Companies everywhere face the challenge of striking the appropriate balance between meeting their business objectives and being good stewards of the environment. As a result, the concept of sustainability is now a critical component of many organizations’ strategic planning processes.
While developing a cost-effective business sustainability strategy isn’t necessarily easy, it is essential for meeting the demands of customers, prospects, and stakeholders and building an eco-friendly brand for your business. It will also help you stay compliant with today’s increasingly stringent environmental regulations.
Ways to Reach Corporate Sustainability Goals
Implementing the following steps can help you achieve your business sustainability goals:
- Make sustainability a part of your mission: Your mission statement identifies the values that your organization strives to adhere to on a daily basis. Including sustainability as part of your mission statement — and backing it with the appropriate actions and behaviors — demonstrates your unwavering commitment to being an eco-friendly company.
- Engaging your employees: An excellent way to support a sustainability initiative is by encouraging your staff to get involved with the process. Create a team of employees tasked with developing “green” programs throughout the organization. By enabling your workers to become engaged and take ownership of the results, you’ll be helping to foster an eco-friendly mindset that permeates the entire company.
- Make waste reduction a top priority: Finding ways to minimize waste in your work processes will increase efficiency and make you a better steward of the environment. If you’re a manufacturer, for instance, consider implementing lean manufacturing concepts such as Six Sigma into your production activities.
- Implement sustainable sourcing practices: Achieving business sustainability goals also requires more efficient supply chain management, specifically in the area of sustainable sourcing. This concept stipulates that organizations must take responsibility for their suppliers’ environmental, social, and ethical practices, which becomes even more crucial for companies that procure goods and materials from overseas entities.
- Measure the results: You won’t know where you stand with your sustainability goals if you don’t have a reliable method for measuring progress and outcomes. Attaching a quantitative value to each objective will allow you to chart your progress and make adjustments to your processes and programs if necessary.
How Solar Can Help
Developing an effective business sustainability energy strategy that relies on the use of renewable energy sources is also essential. Many organizations are discovering that converting to solar electricity wherever practical will reduce their dependency on “the grid.”
Besides enhancing their sustainability efforts, using solar power can significantly reduce energy costs, which can have a positive effect on the organization’s bottom line. Government incentives and tax breaks are also available in many parts of the U.S. for companies that choose to “go solar.”
Contact KC Green Energy to Learn More About Solar and Sustainability Goals
KC Green Energy can design and install an innovative solar electric energy system that will help you reach your corporate sustainability goals and reduce your utility bills by up to 75 percent. Contact us to learn more today.